Independent’s Day is a national campaign that encourages people to help keep their high street alive and thriving whilst also giving them a chance to discover those little hidden gems around the High Street they may never have realised were there.
On Saturday, 5 July 2014, there were lots of activities and entertainment around Brentwood High Street, which was supported by funding from the Brentwood Borough Renaissance Group.
As part of the festivities, Maisy Mouse entertained children at:
- Brentwood Library in New Road
- Gave out balloons from Balloon Boutique in Ongar Road
- She also visited Mi Neni baby boutique in Ongar Road, Crown Street and Brentwood Kitchen on Wilson’s Corner, Ingrave Road
Other activities included:
- Children’s mascots and characters around the High Street and King Road, hosted by Harlequin Fancy Dress and Party Shop, in Kings Road
- Author and illustrator Yasmeen Ismail visited the Chicken and Frog in Ongar Road and a Disney Princess also went along in the afternoon.
- Bargains were on offer in Crown Street where the boutique shops offered special discounts throughout the day. There was also a chance to win an exclusive yellow duck from Fusey in a ‘hook a duck’ competition.
- Free nibbles were provided by Crown Street Café and there were special stalls in Crown Street selling a variety of delicious food
- Michelle Ward, Phoenix FM DJ and singers also performed in Crown Street on Saturday